World-class electromechanical engineering
E-Consult offers specialized electromechanics technology and reliability engineering services, aiding in the optimization and realization of electronics hardware from concept to production.
Claus Würtz Nielsen
With more than 35 years of experience, contributing to design and manufacturing of millions of end-user electronic devices, Claus is a leader in his field.
His vast experience has been obtained via employment at several companies in many different engineering job positions such as, Development-, Research-, Production-, Quality-, Failure Analysis-, and Technology-Engineer, as well as project-, group-, department- and business-manager.This combined with his experience from technical and managerial positions within segments as Consumer-, Industrial-, Space- and Medical-Electronics, has given Claus a solid base to give professional consultancy support to companies who wish to be best-in-class in designing and manufacturing of electronics devices.
E-Consult International mainly focus on four different service categories;1) DfX, Reliability and Total Cost optimisation of the physical PCB hardware design and material/technology-selection for your existing electronics.2) Supporting hardware teams to focus on DfX in the hardware creation process of new products from concept to volume production.3) Miniaturization and Modularization of electronics.4) Technology training via Workshops/Seminars.
E-Consult International, Client references:
Claus has been full time employee in 8 companies from 1981 to 2010
and successfully been running E-Consult International since 2010 and hereby given professional sparring to several companies in Denmark and rest of Europa, China and USA.
Here is a list of some of the companies Claus has worked for:
What I do
Areas of expertise
Having helped more than 40 industry leaders within Consumer-, Industrial-, Space- and Medico-Electronics with optimizing their hardware has refined my experience in a variety of fields.• My special competencies are in Electronics / ElectroMechanics production technologies, miniaturization, modularization and Hardware technology concept selection for electronics with high requirements to robustness and reliability in harsh environments (vibration, shock, condensation, liquid ingress, corrosive).
I have deep insight into solutions for automated commercial extreme mass production (Mobile phones) as well as for smaller series production of very high-reliability electronics (Space) and super compact electronics (Hearing aids).
• My main focus is on optimization of the physical hardware design and material/technology-selection with respect to DfX, Manufacturability, Manufacturing yield, Total lifetime cost (not just BOM-cost) and Reliability/Robustness in the field.
Examples of services
My customers typically appreciate to have an external sparring partner who, with fresh eyes and profound experience, questions:
• "This is how we usually do it" and
• "We have used this EMS for many years",
... because "new" component and production technologies sometimes requires a replacement of the toolbox, change of technology and possibly also the EMS to one with better technical capability and ability to deliver high quality.
Sometimes engineers are not aware of that older technologies that years ago have been disregarded, has become significantly optimized and therefore relevant again.
I offer to participate as a sparring partner at concept development meetings and milestone reviews from start to product release for manufacturing, to ensure focus on DfM, DfR, DfA, DfT in product creation projects and ensure that material and hardware technology choices are challenged and discussed sufficiently early to achieve the Lowest Total Cost,I do as well offer:
• to assist with miniaturization and / or modularization of electronics
• to support the development / updating of HW production technology roadmaps
• to give support to material / process / technology research
• to find the best suited EMS for PCB assembly and Box Build
PCB-layout DfM review
I offer second-opinion reviews on your existing electronics/electromechanics hardware technology and provide insights for an optimized DfX: DfM, DfBA, DfR, DfT .....
Concepting and review of Electromechanical interconnect methods.
Proposal of optimized interconnect methods.
Cost reduction review of existing products:
• can the hardware design, material and manufacturing technology selection be optimized?
• Proposal for Next Generation DfX optimization
From concept to production
hardware concepting DfX
I offer to participate as a sparring partner at concept development meetings to ensure that material / hardware technology choices are challenged and discussed.It is as well an option to include me as a part time member of concept and development teams for shorter or longer periods to ensure continous focus and progress on DfM, DfR, DfA, DfBA from concept stage to ramp-up of production, thus achieving Lowest TOTAL Cost.
Design for Excellence
Guidance in PCB and PCBA
• Assembly and Automation
• Reliability / Robustness
• Coating / Underfilling
• Lowest Total Cost
Are you struggling with space for the electronics but not really familiar with the numerous amazing options for miniaturization using HDI PCB technologies with stacked and staggered MicroVias, then I can guide you to select the most feasible:
• Component technology
• Substrate technology
• Build-up structure
• Footprint design
• Design rules
Should you consider to go for a HDI PCB module approach?
It of course depends on the actual application, component type mix and complexity.
In many applications a modular approach will enable:
• Faster time to market for new design variants.
• Smaller area Main PCB, and therefore cheaper, because a module typically will give higher packaging density by using finer pitch components and HDI interposers.
• Lower total cost by enabling simpler Main PCB technology with fewer layers.
• Even option for further cost reduction, if the module is used in different products due to higher module volume production.
• Easier and higher yield PCB assembly by use of Known Good modules.I have experience I will be happy to share with you, from design and manufacturing of more than 100 modules and component packages.
PCB AND PCBA MANUFACTURING SUPPORT
EMS Technical Capability assessments
Have you selected a PCB manufacturer and EMS with sufficient technical capability for your specific PCBA design?I have experience from numerous Technical Capability Assessments in Europe and Asia and can therefore analyze your actual needs and support you in the process to select the best suited EMS for your actual needs.
• Mission Profile creation
• PCB and PCBA Design for Reliability
• Environmental Test requirements
• Device failure Root Cause Analysis guidance
DO YOU NEED INSPIRATION?
Lectures to inspire and upgrade your internal knowledge
Before you can design excellent manufacturable and reliable electronics devices you need to know about:
• traditional and new technology options
• what it takes to manufacture and validate the hardware
• typical root causes to field failures and how to prevent themIf your Hardware creation team need to be updated with a deeper insight in these topics then E-Consult International can create tailor made presentations for a workshop or seminar at your company.
Claus Würtz Nielsen has for more than 3 decades acted as a Technology Scout that each year follow hardware technology events, seminars and conferences to stay updated with newest trends, design and manufacturing methods.Claus has a long track record for giving presentations at Technology Seminars and International Microelectronics Conferences (IMAPS, ICEP, SMTA,...) in USA, Japan, China, Germany, The Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
Claus has also contributed to articles in Electronics magazines and technical publications.
If you use ENIG as surface finish on your PCBs and make mobile electronics devices or devices that will be exposed to mechanical impact (drop) or vibration, then the probability for field failures is high.
Read this technical paper to learn how ENIG can promote fatal unavoidable solder joint cracks.
Dybt i Nokias maskinrum
Portrait article of Claus Würtz Nielsen from Elektronik og Data.
(Text in Danish).
Get in touch
Let's have a chat
E-Consult International, represented by Claus Würtz Nielsen, is situated in Denmark but operating world-wide.
I can meet you online or in the Copenhagen area.
SCAN MY CONTACT INFO